Research Assistant in Geopolitics and International Relations
Policy Center for the New South is hiring a Research Assistant in International Relations. The ideal candidate must have specific knowledge about international relations major challenges to support our fellows and researchers with their current research papers and advisory projectsMore
I. Job summary
Policy Center for the New South is seeking a rigorous and highly motivated individual to provide research support to the think Tank’s experts in Geopolitics and International Relations. This is an entry-level position, hence kindly note that duties and positions evolve according to seniority and experience.
Research assistants undertake research and analytical support, writing, and/or research assistance, communication, and presentation of research findings. Policy Center for the New South’s Research Assistants need to have excellent communication and writing skills.
The candidate should demonstrate an excellent understanding of international relations challenges, and an interest the African continent’s development issues.
II. Key responsibilities
A) Research Assistance
- In collaboration with senior research staff and Policy Center for the New South Fellows, draft analysis and summarize research on key African countries for incorporation into project publications;
- Provide analytical reviews and summaries of existing literature pertinent to the projects;
- Locate and collect relevant documents and data from sources such as electronic databases libraries, and government publications;
- Compile, read, abstract, and organize written material into bibliographic form and summaries;
- Contribute to analytical work produced by experts, to the blog and globally to all publications;
- Maintain electronic bibliography files;
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
B) Project Management
In addition to tasks specific to research, research assistants are frequently invited to provide assistance for the organization of meetings and conferences related to the fellows’ work and projects.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Political Sciences; International Law; International Relations or any relevant education for the position;
- Ability to undertake research assignments and case studies with little supervision required;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Excellent time management and ability to organize, meet deadlines, and multitasking;
- Fluency in French and English (reading, speaking, and writing) is required. Knowledge of additional languages is a plus.